Welcome!

In 1998 I bought a Triumph Herald 13/60, here you can read about it's restoration and share in a few photo's from it's travels. Please feel free to leave comments to any of the posts, of even email me if you want to.

Monday, October 12, 2009

MoT Day!!

Today I was supposed to be taking the Herald for its MoT, supposed to being the important part of that sentence.

2 things have conspired to prevent this from happening.

1. Steve's Holiday.

Steve decided to extend his 2 week holiday to 3 weeks, which meant the drivers door didn't get done. I don't begrudge him this at all, he works long hours all year round, often 7 days a week, so deserved the extra time off.

2. The Clutch

It sounded like a bag of nails every time you tried to take up drive. The feel of the clutch was fine, but the noise sounded expensive, so something was not right.

The hydraulics and release arm were all easily checked and seemed fine, so there was no option but to take the gearbox out and inspect what was going on. So on Sunday 4th I spent a couple of hours unbolting everything, but a lack of time and subsequently energy meant the gearbox was still in place at the end of the day.

This Saturday (10th) arrived and with renewed energy and Steve's return the gearbox was out after a little persuasion. An initial look at the clutch and I could see I had at least put the clutch plate in round the right way, so that ruled out my theory.

Off with the pressure plate and then all became obvious - the 4 bolts holding on the flywheel had been fouling the centre of the clutch plate. Not by much, but enough to make it sound terrible. You can see the scuff marks in this photo.

The 4 spring washers I used on these bolts were very chunky items, so these were refitted with thinner and more 'normal' sized washers. The replacement Clutch from Canley Classics was also less proud on the flywheel side than the one coming out, so a decent clearance was now achieved.

After lunch we got back to refitting the gearbox, with 2 of us this should have been fairly easy, but we were really struggling to get the back of the engine high enough so the gearbox could be lined up. Eventually we had to get a long ladder and attach a rope and pulley to the roof of the workshop, attach this to the lifting eye of the engine and along with another helper pull bloody hard to get the engine at the right angle. Eventually it slotted in and I could start to bolt everything back together.

Sunday came and after an hour getting everything bolted back on and connected up, it was time to test it. It was a moment of great relief to reverse the car out of the workshop and drive it up the lane, albeit for just 20 metres or so, but it was enough to know that the clutch felt good and I did manage to get her into 2nd gear......hurrah!

Now there's often a sting in the tail with every great moment of joy, this was no exception. The root cause of all the clutch problems were the spring washers I fitted to the flywheel bolts. For no apparent reason I decided to check the parts catalogue, which didn't show any washers at all, another check on Canley's website confirmed this.

So it seems that had I fitted the bolts without washers none of this would have happened. It is possible that the fitting of these washers may encourage the flywheel to come loose. At this point I'm going to take my chances and leave them there, I just can't bring myself to take the gearbox out again. Maybe after I've driven her for a while I'll remove them, but for now they're staying put!

No comments: